Don’t Talk to Strangers


I don’t know how to start this story. Should I go with the “One day, as I was walking…” cliché or onto the main attraction: I WAS HARASSED AT ALIMALL.

Saturday, Jan. 5, 2008, a normal day at the mall. As usual, I visit the Book Sale, one of my frequented stores. After browsing the shelves, scrounging around for magazines, and stopping by the overhead mirror to fix my hair (What?!), I decided to leave.

Suddenly, I heard a faint “excuse me” from behind. I ignored it. It was followed by two more, each one louder than the last. I turned to look.

A guy I remember seeing at the book sale ran up to me and asked for directions to Gateway… so he could go to the LRT station. I’m no good at giving directions so I said I can accompany him outside AliMall, where I could see Shopwise (so I can pinpoint the exact route).

Now’s probably the right time to describe this guy: he was shorter than me, skinnier, about 19-20 years of age, and kind of cute. Overall assessment: wimp. I he tries anything to harm me, I’ll put his lights out in 3 seconds flat.

Besides, I’ve helped countless people with directions before, mostly old ladies. I walk with them until they reach their destination or give them instructions with a smile. I just love hearing them say “Thank you very much!”

On with the story…
So as we were walking we talked about various things. He actually made a great impression because, apparently, he finished ComSci (My dad is a programmer so I like people who know their PCs). He was really nice to talk to.

But… BUT! Why was he holding onto my arm?! JGNSDKJFHSIU!

I tried stretching my arms, hoping he would get the message. He still held on to me after that! I tried “taking dirt off” my shoes, pointing here and there, stretching again… but he still just would NOT take his hand off!

Finally, it was time for farewell. I pointed him to the right direction and turned to leave when he suddenly said, “Uuwi ka na ba?” It was a lose-lose situation. If I said “yes” he might come with me and follow me home, If I said “no” he still might follow me… or he might just say, “Okay then, bye!”

“Hindi pa.” I stuck with the truth. As expected he said, “Saan ka pupunta? Sasamahan na lang muna kita.”

“Hindi na kailangan. Kaya ko ang sarili ko. Bye.”

I walked straight away and entered the mall again.

Dear God! He followed me!

He ran up to me and held on to me AGAIN! Then he started talking like it was the most natural thing in the world. I stared at his hand.

“Walang malisya. As friends lang naman eh!”

True, I know guys who are already comfortable with close contact at the first meeting but NO ONE DARED to get THAT close!

“Maybe this guy’s gay,” I thought.

Besides, today’s stranger is tomorrow’s friend… right?

Oh, I am the dense-est human being to ever walk this earth.


Then he started asking about the “boyfriend”. Oh boy.


“Ayoko sa lalake.” I thought he would assume that I liked girls or that I was a man-hater… Whichever is fine, just as long as he leaves!

“Aww. Ehdi wala na akong pag-asa?”

What the hell did he just say? Calm down, stop assuming… it’s all just in your head.

Maybe he’s just joking. I laughed at his “joke”.

How long he bugged me about the boyfriend? I do not know.

I changed the topic.

“Mahilig ka sa games, no? Kaya nasira ang video card mo…?”

“Hindi masyado… blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda…”

I forgot what he was saying because that time I was busy thinking how I would get him to go away without hurting his feelings or without disrespecting him at least. Argh! Somebody teach me how to be mean! (THIS IS SO TWO YEARS AGO HAHAHAHA)

My stream of thought was interrupted when he asked where I lived. Uh-oh.

“Dito lang sa Cubao.”

“Malapit lang? Maybe I should visit you…”

“Sasagasaan ka ng tatay ko.”

Again, I retreated to my thoughts. Damn it! How did things turn out this way?

Suddenly, he asked if he could see my hand.

I was lost in my thoughts so I just held it up without thinking.

HE TRIED TO HOLD MY HAND. Homayghad.

As in, he tried to interlace his fingers with mine!!! INTERLAAAAAACE!!!!

I jerked my hand away and stared at him in horror.

That’s it. You’ve crossed the line, buddy.

You’ve gone way past being friendly. You’ve even gone past disgusting.

I made one final stretch and crossed my arms.

“Alam mo, ako na mismo ang maghahatid sayo sa Gateway.”

I walked briskly with my arms still crossed.

“Hindi ka ba-”

“Komportable ako nang naka ganito.”

I don’t remember what we talked about after that. All I know is I kept my answers short. Finally, we stopped outside Shopwise.

“Ayan na ang Gateway.”

He just stood there. Man, do I have to spell it out for you?! Just cross the street, damn it! And get out of my sight!!

He wouldn’t move so I crossed the street. He followed.

“Oh, itinawid pa kita.”

“Uuwi ka na ba? Saan ka pa ba pupunta? Sasamahan kita…”

“Huwag ka ng mag-abala. Umuwi ka na.”

“Sasama-”

“Seryoso ako. Umuwi ka na.”

I gazed straight into his eyes as if I might get the message across through ESP.

He STILL would NOT walk away! After a few seconds of standing there, in the midst of a LOT of people, I said, “Mauna na ako.” I started crossing the street.

He followed saying, “Itatawid ki-”

“Marunong akong tumawid.”

We’re back in front of Shopwise. Sheesh. Isn’t this just dramatic?

“Okay na ako. Umalis ka na.”

Why wouldn’t he just go away?!

He didn’t even budge!

Again, we stood there in silence for maybe half a minute. I lost my patience.

“Aalis na ako.” I walked away while he was saying his goodbyes.

I didn’t look back. I entered Shopwise again and once inside, I walked hurriedly, as if I was almost running.

I had to make sure he’s not following me again. I had to make sure he CANNOT follow me again.

I went through the clothing department, turning every now and then, hoping I would lose him. I walked through long straight aisles to see if someone was following. I turned at glass panels so I’d be able to see the people behind me.

I did that for over 30 minutes. Through Shopwise, SM, and AliMall. I can never be too sure.

At last, I decided to go home. I went straight to the LRT station. If he was STILL following me, I’ll catch him.

“Pag nakita ko pa yun, itutulak ko siya sa riles,” I thought.

I arrived home safe… but hungry and sweating like crazy at the same time.

“Mom, my nangyari kanina…”

After I finished the story, my mom told me that I should’ve taken him straight to the police station.

“May police station dun?!”

What the-?! And I thought I knew Cubao better than anyone else!

“O kaya, dapat pinarinig mo sa kaniya yang tawa mo, para na-turn-off.”


Har har. Very funny, Mom.

0 comments: